Renting and Documented Emotional Support Animals (apartments, tenants, deposit, credit score)

Foro para temas de gestión del conocimiento

Moderador: jpdevia

joselcollin

Renting and Documented Emotional Support Animals (apartments, tenants, deposit, credit score)

Notapor joselcollin » Vie Ago 23, 2019 11:53 am

Hi. I have documentation from one of my doctors stating that I'm prescribed an emotional support animal (it's legit for an issue I've had ongoing most of my life combined with medication and therapy). I've rented in 3 different places and never had an issue (granted these were apartments that were pet friendly to begin with- I just didn't have to pay pet rent or an additional deposit). Before my last place however, I wanted to rent in 1 particular place and the landlord told me no pets allowed (before I even said anything) so I told him I had documentation for my support dog. I knew right away when I told him that he already was going to try to find someone else so I didn't bother paying for an application. I know legally they cannot deny me a place however, if they ask me before I do pay for an application if I have a pet, can I say no to not jeopardize them turning me away? This really is only applicable to places that don't allow dogs. I'm relocating and almost every place in my budget does not allow dogs (I would NEVER give my dog period!).

danielhowell

Re: Renting and Documented Emotional Support Animals (apartments, tenants, deposit, credit score)

Notapor danielhowell » Vie Ago 23, 2019 11:56 am

joselcollin escribió:Hi. I have documentation from one of my doctors stating that I'm prescribed an emotional support animal (it's legit for an issue I've had ongoing most of my life combined with medication and therapy). I've rented in 3 different places and never had an issue (granted these were apartments that were pet friendly to begin with- I just didn't have to pay pet rent or an additional deposit). Before my last place however, I wanted to rent in 1 particular place and the landlord told me no pets allowed (before I even said anything) so I told him I had documentation for my support dog. I knew right away when I told him that he already was going to try to find someone else so I didn't bother paying for an application. I know legally they cannot deny me a place however, if they ask me before I do pay for an application if I have a pet, can I say no to not jeopardize them turning me away? This really is only applicable to places that don't allow dogs. I'm relocating and almost every place in my budget does not allow dogs (I would NEVER give my dog period!).

If you say no it is a lie. You just have to disclose that you have a service animal on your application.
I am a LL and I allow pets because I think they are important family members. I also understand the practical aspects of a trained service dog for a physically disabled individual. I must admit, as much as I do love dogs, it eludes me how one qualifies for a "emotional support dog." I recently read that airlines do permit emotional support dogs to fly in cabin if the dog actually has documented service dog training as an emotional support dog. Does your dog? If so, be sure the specify that you are disabled and have a certified service animal.

Just a note from one of your doctors prescribing an emotional support dog, and a dog not proven to be certified/trained as a service animal, would not qualify IMHO.

RAMOS

Re: Renting and Documented Emotional Support Animals (apartments, tenants, deposit, credit score)

Notapor RAMOS » Vie Ago 23, 2019 11:56 am

Emotional support animals and service dogs are different. To reject me because you (not you personally) prefer not to have animals is against FHA. I would have killed myself if I didn't have him.

As far as I know (I'm trying to find out if my response is legal I guess) if on an application they say "Do you have any pets?" I could say no because my dog is a companion due to my letter and not just a pet.

I don't want to keep paying application fees knowing that once they see that I need an accommodation, that they will go to someone else because they cannot be bothered with me having a dog.

smudgerabid

Notapor smudgerabid » Vie Ago 23, 2019 11:58 am

Hi. Yes I know all about the letter for airlines and the one for housing (different letters). I know that website too. I just cannot find a direct question saying if I have to disclose on my application that I have an emotional support animal. I know for a fact that places can reject you for that but not state that. They can always lie and say it was due to a credit score (I have excellent credit), job history (I have a good, stable job), or say someone turned in an application first. Like my experience before once the guy heard I had an emotional support animal he gave me a hard time and I could see it being a problem for him so I didn't bother to fill out an application. I don't want to waste my time or $$$ filling out applications knowing that they may get rejected due to my prescription if I could legally say no to the question "Do you have any pets?".

joselcollin

Notapor joselcollin » Vie Ago 23, 2019 11:59 am

The difference between a service animal and an emotional support animal is in training. A service animal is well trained and provides a specific service, like seeing eye dog, or dog for someone who's deaf for instance.

An emotional support animal doesn't even have to be a dog. It could be a horse, monkey, a ferret, anything. Even if it is a dog it doesn't have to have to any training whatsoever including learning to pee outside, or obeying any commands.

I am not against emotional support animals for those that need them but there are just too many tenants now who try to take advantage of the no pet laws and circumvent them by having their pets certified as emotional support animals. You can actually buy a certification online.

I am not trying to imply the OP is one of them.

josekadams

Notapor josekadams » Vie Ago 23, 2019 12:03 pm

Emotional Support Animal Laws do not apply to hotels, so there are no requirements that your emotional support animal be accommodated. However, the likelihood that you are allowed in the hotel with your emotional support animal are increased drastically with the proper documentation from a healthcare professional or doctor. We suggest you can call ahead to inquire about your hotel’s pet policy. Many hotels allow guests to bring pets into their hotel room, though some may require an additional fee or deposit. Of course, if your emotional support animal damages hotel property in any way, you are liable.

danielhowell

Notapor danielhowell » Vie Ago 23, 2019 12:04 pm

josekadams escribió:Emotional Support Animal Laws do not apply to hotels, so there are no requirements that your emotional support animal be accommodated. However, the likelihood that you are allowed in the hotel with your emotional support animal are increased drastically with the proper documentation from a healthcare professional or doctor. We suggest you can call ahead to inquire about your hotel’s pet policy. Many hotels allow guests to bring pets into their hotel room, though some may require an additional fee or deposit. Of course, if your emotional support animal damages hotel property in any way, you are liable.

Like I said in a post above.. You can buy them online. You just answer a few questions.. The website practically tells you how to answer and one of their medical professionals will evaluate you. Then for a fee they'll send you Fido's certificate. And what makes so angry is that on those types of websites you'll see big proclamations like 'Never Pay Another Pet Deposit Again' or " How To Avoid the No Pet Clause in Your Lease'.. so these websites know darn well what they're doing and so do the people who use them. Combine that certificate with a fancy orange service vest for your dog and what LL is going to even think to question the validity of it?

LONG

Notapor LONG » Vie Ago 23, 2019 12:05 pm

Service animals are trained for things such as guiding the blind, detecting seizures, and keep you from self harm. Legally you cannot be told that they have to leave in housing, restaurants, stores, etc. The emotional support animal is usually not trained in doing a job or task and typically are the companions of those with PTSD, depression, and anxiety. Legally you cannot be told you cannot live somewhere due to having one (I think there is a loop hole though if the place has less than 4 units) however you technically cannot bring the animal to stores and restaurants.

Legally I cannot get evicted for having an emotional support animal or denied housing for it so yes, that is the law and unless you would like to be sued and lose, you do have to follow the law. I realize Karen you may not like that answer but say I lived in your complex (and that you didn't allow pets) and ended up getting a prescription for a pet, you cannot decide that since you are a pet free complex that I no longer cannot live there.

My companion saved my life and I have legit documentation from a "real" in person doctor that I have seen for years. I have medical records that I would prefer not to share with a manager or landlord hence why you have the letter (I believe people have a right to privacy).

Some of you may make light of people like me having emotional support animals, I get it.

codposh

Notapor codposh » Vie Ago 23, 2019 12:06 pm

Also, you don't need a certifcate for having an emotional support animal lol.... It's a doctor's letter you need. The sites that give you certificates and not letters from a doctor with their practice info and their license number, are a scam however, I'm sure people do buy them from there and many landlords or managers accept them for being legit.

Volver a “Gestión del Conocimiento”